Monday, July 13, 2015

Can I get a peace bond?

If someone is harassing you it is possible, in some circumstances, to get what is known as a peace bond. That is a court order requiring that person to leave you alone and (usually) stay a specified distance away from you. The peace bond also requires more generally that the person bound by it keeps the peace and doesn't break the law.

You can get a peace bond if you are afraid that another person will harm you, your partner (spouse or your common-law), your child, or damage your property. The other person could be anyone - a neighbour, an acquaintance or a family member. The peace bond is an order from the court, or an agreement that a person makes with the court, "to keep the peace and be of good behaviour".

Peace bonds are not given out without good reason.

Basically you have to have a genuine fear of physical harm.

The process involves you going before a Justice of the Peace and telling them, under oath, what has been happening. If the Justice concludes you have a genuine fear the Justice will set a date for a hearing.

The person who has been harassing you will get a chance to speak to a Justice of the Peace and explain why a peace bond is not appropriate. Often they will claim YOU have been harassing them and a peace bond should be granted against you!

If the Justice of the Peace concludes a peace bond is appropriate one will issue.

Having a peace bond ordered against you does not mean you have a criminal record -- but breaching a peace bond is a criminal offence and can lead to criminal charges.


lee woo said...

The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. See the link below for more info.


Silvia Jacinto said...

I am very happy to visit your site and i did like it. I was able to get some informative topics. keep it up and you can also visit my site for your reference. Thank you and have a good day.