Thursday, June 4, 2009

Mandatory minimum sentences for drug crimes -- bad idea -- Drug addiction is a health issue

A fellow blogger, who is active in progressive blogging asked me what I thought about supporting mandatory minimum sentences for drug crimes.

I replied:

I think it's a terrible idea.

More generally, as I have written elsewhere, drugs are not dealt with well by criminal law but as health issues.

Note Portugal, not exactly a wild eyed leftist nation, decriminalised ALL drugs, what, 7 years ago. The right claimed the world would end and ... it didn't.

Drug use in Portugal is down and even the right wing parties don't suggest re-criminalising drugs.
James Morton
1100-5255 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario
M2N 6P4

416 225 2777

2 comments:

ValleyGirl69 said...

Interesting.. next trip: Portugal!

Tripper's World said...

as I wrote the Party this morning

Subject: support C-15 lose BC liberals - this one for sure

if you support the mandatory minimums legislation I will send you back my Liberal Party Membership and not support the Party further.

I live Vancouver but I have lived and worked in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and know for a fact this legislation is not supported country-wide.

It has less support in the population as a whole than the opposite.