Wednesday, August 27, 2008

An Old Judge

Sitting in Court a few days ago before an old judge I thought of how many times over how many years I have sat before this man. He has become an old man -- ascending the bench takes time and you can see he is frail.

He was of humble beginnings and many say not terribly intellectual (but if not book smart he is canny).

But gosh, what a well for common sense and human empathy. (And I don't say this because I won -- I didn't).

Over the years I have seen his keen eye decide who is, and who is not, truthful or likely to be a danger -- and he has been right on the money.

The fact is sometimes it's better to have a judge who understands people than a judge who understands the law.


James Morton
1100 - 5255 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario
M2N 6P4

3 comments:

Johnathon said...

"The fact is sometimes it's better to have a judge who understands people than a judge who understands the law."

With that thinking from a lawyer, it's no wonder that rapists get 4 years and drunk driving killers get house arrest.

Morton, lawyers should uphold the laws, not legislate from the bench.

Now I know why leftists hate mandatory minimums.

Like they say, in Canada a lawyer gets to represent the same client a hundred times, but in the USA only once.

Gotta love Canadian justice, unless of course you're a victim.

Anonymous said...

James,

I generally don't agree with your political views, but as a fellow litigator, I think this is a great post! Keep up the interesting blogging!

Chris Diana

Anonymous said...

interesting indeed! more nuggets of wisdom to those of us outside the justice system. Love to hear your PoV!!