Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Flight deck security

As a child, maybe 1966, I remember being taken into the cockpit of a DC 8. There was a door, but it was open, and the stewardess who took me to the flight deck just walked in.

There were three men running the plane, at least it so seemed to my childish eyes. One of them was smoking. Security was as serious as you find on a public transit bus.

As I write this I am on a Westjet flight to Vancouver standing in front of a door that looks like it leads to a bank vault. A security light blinks and a keypad with coding barred entry. The door hinges are secured behind reinforced steel. A secure video peep hole allows the pilots to look out (do they have a toilet in there? It's a long flight? Is security breached for bathroom breaks?).

Changes in the way we live.
James Morton
1100-5255 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario
M2N 6P4

416 225 2777

No comments: