Monday, June 8, 2009

Sad news

Office of the Hon. Irwin Cotler, P.C., O.C., M.P. (Mount Royal)  Statement of the Hon. Irwin Cotler, on the passing of the Hon. Sheila Finestone – June 8, 2009  


"Ariela and I, and our family, were very saddened to learn of Sheila's passing. She was a most devoted MP – a tireless worker – the welfare of whose constituents was always uppermost in her mind. She knew every 'cartier' of this increasingly multi-cultural constituency– she was a natural choice for Secretary of State for multiculturalism and the status of women – and reflected and represented the cases and causes of her constituents in an exemplary manner. 

After her appointment to the Senate in August 1999, she continued her indefatigable work and I was the beneficiary of having a former MP of this riding with whom I could join together in common cause. We extend our deepest condolences to her family.
May we be inspired by her memory and may that memory serve as a blessing for us all." 

Irwin Cotler
Mount Royal
June 8, 2009 
James Morton
1100-5255 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario
M2N 6P4

416 225 2777

1 comment:

Brian A said...

I'm truly sorry to hear that. Mrs. Finestone was my MP for the majority of my childhood and, though I was far too young to understand politics then, my parents often spoke of the work she did in Mount Royal.