Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Who suffers in the "war on drugs"?

Mexico, Jamaica, Columbia, one could argue Afghanistan -- the profits created by the crime tariff on drugs have created a nightmare for ordinary people -- surely this isn't a sensible way to conduct foreign policy?

http://tinyurl.com/262hexv


As I drive through the city, my taxi driver tells me that he is going to have to charge extra:

"Everywhere is blocked up, it's just turn, turn, turn."

I am just trying to get into the main commercial district of the capital, New Kingston, but the journey provides a snapshot of the situation the country finds itself in.

As we head up one road we spot the few vehicles on the road doing sharp U-turns. Then I hear it, the sound of automatic weapon fire.

We head back down the road to go around the trouble, and we are suddenly surrounded by police. A shot-up Toyota is parked up by a petrol station.

No comments: