Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Post Office

When I started in business I would get, on a normal day, ten or more letters. People communicated by telephone and, if there was a need to make a permanent record of a communication, by letter mailed through the post.

Today I get virtually no letters by mail; perhaps two a week.

What comes is journals, advertising supplements, sometimes checks paying accounts (but most people pay some other way) and Christmas cards. The only significant user of the mail remaining is the Courts - they still mail reminder notices.

Why I mention this is because the plan to cut back on mail service (albeit residential) to three days a week is self-defeating. People in major urban centres (not, in fairness, rural areas and the North) have already moved on from the mail system -- making the system less useful will merely make people give up on it entirely.

2 comments:

F John Perry said...

This illustrates the basic problem: there is marked decline in letter mail per address, at least of truly important letter mail? But is society really ready to discard a comprehensive postal system? Where a document or package must be physically delivered, will everyone be happy with costly courier service?
Will the government subsidize delivery of passports to remote hamlets? Or will the inhabitants just bear the cost?

Another factor is that a sizable minority of Canadians have no home internet. I believe this number will increase, because of financial constraints in tough economic times. I myself wince each time I get my ISP's bill, which always seems higher that it was the previous month. To be sure, I do continue to pay it, by cheque sent through the mail.

James C Morton said...

Good points all!