Wednesday, January 4, 2012

IF WE DON'T GET THIS RIGHT, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

Professor Ken Davey sent the note below to a few friends in the Riding. It really hit home with me -- with his permission I reproduce it here:


As a johnny-come-lately to this enterprise, most of you won't know me or understand why I have become involved so late in life (I am 79). 

I am an emeritus prof of biology at York.  Although I closed my lab 10 years ago, I continue with an active life in Science.

For most of my career, in addition to the research and teaching  that I enjoyed so much, I had a parallel life as an academic administrator, finishing as the senior VP at York, responsible for the entire academic enterprise of Canada's third largest U.  I was responsible for 80% of the budget.  I had little time for the political process apart from voting and reading about it.

Like many others, however,  I am alarmed with the current government, not so much for what they are doing , but, importantly, for how they are doing it.  So, I began by donating, by cheque, to both the federal party and the riding.  More recently, I tried donating via the web-site.  Without going into detail, it was an alienating and difficult  process.  Rather than shrugging my shoulders and simply writing  a cheque, I sent an e-mail along to point out those bits that were difficult.  I will not detail the events that followed, but the process got much worse. Follow up with me as a donor was inconsistent and at times downright silly.  I have concluded that this part of the organisation of the Party is awfully weak.  IF WE DON'T GET THIS RIGHT, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. 

There was also evidence of poor communication among the various parts of the organisation.  Hints of this are in the platforms of some of the candidates for President

Originally, I was simply going to attend as an observer, to see whether it was worth continuing to donate, but then I discovered what it would cost, and I also had a look at the program and realised that I might be able to make a contribution.

Moreover, I have, over the years built up a pretty good knowledge of how Ottawa works.

I have been on every committee related to NSERC.

As President of the Biological Council of Canada I lobbied during the 80s on behalf of science, and achieved  some successes

I have done work for the Auditor General.

During my time with the National Council on Ethics in Human Research, I interacted with senior people at Health Canada, and retain those connections

Former member of the Life Sciences Advisory Committee for the Canadian Space Agency.

The only non-government scientist on a PCO Round Table on the role of government research scientists in setting public policy.  The other members were all DMs and Adams wrote some of the background papers leading to the establishment of the Canada Foundation for Innovation, and the funding of overhead costs for grants from the granting agencies to the Universities.

Currently, I was one of the three first incorporators for the Canadian Science Press, the not for profit established to transition the NRC Press, which publishes 15 Scientific Journals, to the private sector. I remain vice chair of the Board. I have informal connections elsewhere: the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, Ag Canada, NRC

You should not take it that I am planning to ride in on a white horse and save the party: far from it.  I regard the convention as a learning experience

But I will be listening carefully to the candidates for every post against this background and experience, and will try to make useful contributions to the workshops.

I have, I think sorted out the organisation of the Party from the Constitution.  It is a little bewildering, but I think I understand why it is so complexity various policy resolutions on the web site are disappointing to me because of the absence of the role of science (including the Social Sciences) in the development of public policy.  

I believe that the tories are vulnerable in this area.  But the emphasis on evidence based policy making in the workshops is encouraging.  Ted HSu, the member for Kingston and the Islands, has a background in Physics and that is encouraging as well.

Finally, I am not a relative of Keith Davey!

I look forward to seeing you.

Ken Davey

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"For most of my career, in addition to the research and teaching that I enjoyed so much, I had a parallel life as an academic administrator, finishing as the senior VP at York, responsible for the entire academic enterprise of Canada's third largest U. I was responsible for 80% of the budget. I had little time for the political process apart from voting and reading about it."





This is the perfect definition of a Marxist MOOCH.

This guy has never worked in the real world, but rather only for government.

He is now getting a pension only a private sector worker can imagine receiving.

This man above created no wealth, no jobs and did nothing but spend other people's money his entire career.

And Morton tries to use this MOOCH as an example of what?


All you government workers who MOOCH your entire lives need to understand the party is coming to an end.

I can't afford to pay your wage, plus your pension any longer.

I don't get a pension, then neither do you.

After all, I pay your pension.

Anonymous said...

"He is now getting a pension only a private sector worker can imagine receiving."


This shouldn't have been part of my above comment.


This Marxist is still working for government as a MOOCH.

Then he will retire and receive a FAT MOOCH pension.

James C Morton said...

All I can say Anon is, sheesh -- to suggest that research scientists are mooches is just silly

Anonymous said...

"research scientist"


Give me one invention or medial breakthrough he has come up with that we actually need to survive on a day to day basis.


You can't.

how many research scientists do we have in Canada?

Give me all their names and the salaries they receive.


I fail to understand how Canadians need to pay this guy a wage.

He is probably making 200 grand a year all the while being a Marxist mooch.

This guy is part of the ONE PERCENT, but he needs to MOOCH off me to live the life.


Morton, give me anything this guy has done that society actually needs or uses.

Thank You.

Anonymous said...

Justified Self Defense: Mom Kills Armed Intruder with Shotgun



9-1-1 Operator Gives Her the OK To Shoot


Thursday, January 5, 2012

While foreign politicians at the United Nations debate the merits of allowing American citizens to own firearms, yet another example of the absolute necessity of the right to bear arms in a free society emerges from Oklahoma, where an 18 year old mom and widow who lost her husband on Christmas Day was at home with her young son on New Year’s eve.

McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO that she quickly got her 12 gauge, went into her bedroom and got a pistol, put the bottle in the baby’s mouth and called 911.

“I’ve got two guns in my hand — is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?” the young mother asked the 911 dispatcher. “I’m here by myself with my infant baby, can I please get a dispatcher out here immediately?”

The 911 dispatcher confirmed with McKinley that the doors to her home were locked as she asked again if it was okay to shoot the intruder if he were to come through her door.

“I can’t tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby,” the dispatcher told her. McKinley was on the phone with 911 for a total of 21 minutes.

When Martin kicked in the door and came after her with the knife, the teen mom shot and killed the 24-year-old. Police are calling the shooting justified.

Source: ABC NEWS



HEY MORTON. IN CANADA THIS POOR GIRL WOULD BE LOCKED UP IN PRISON.

You proud of all your friends in the legal profession?

The Crown, Defense, Judge, Police Chief all think the same. All left wing progressive totalitarian Marxists.

Only the Police and Brinks guards get to use self defense in Canada , right Morton?

Are you proud Morton, you totalitarian rat you.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of all the hype about Anna Nicole. Who was she? She did nothing to improve life for humanity including her own....she was a Mooch. I know lots of people who have not ever worked in the real world, who have accumulated power, fame and wealth by playing the government game. Who will refer to other people who work hard, play with a book of ethics and help their neighbour as, unsuccessful.

Anonymous said...

"I know lots of people who have not ever worked in the real world, who have accumulated power, fame and wealth by playing the government game."



Police officers and teachers are the new millionaires in Canada.

They make 90 grand for 25 years.


2.25 million.

plus the pension

30 grand for life (40 years)



EQUALS 3.45 MILLION


Not bad for only working 9 months of every year.

Pmr said...

Annon - get a life cuz apparently you don't have one - it's not worth spending anymore of my valuable time on your drivel

Anonymous said...

Anon....where do teachers in Canada make 90 grand with 25 years experience?

Pmr....Thanks for your reply. Apparently something hit a cord or you wouldn't have wasted any time what so ever.