Friday, March 30, 2012

More guns, less crime?

I'm not sure how accurate the report of MP Garry Breitkreuz's is.

He may have been misinterpreted. And of course carrying a concealed weapon in Canada (especially a gun) is (absent very special circumstances) a major crime and not something anyone should do.

But assume Canada became a 'carry state', would crime drop?

Perhaps.

The evidence from the USA is ambiguous. While I'd prefer to say crime is unaffected, or increases, when people carry guns the evidence is less clear. Some studies suggest 'more guns, less crime' while others go the other way. (See: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Guns,_Less_Crime).

Tory MP under fire for giving pro-gun speech to teens http://bit.ly/H2ozCz

"Saskatchewan Tory MP Garry Breitkreuz found himself in hot water Thursday after an Ottawa mother complained he told a Grade 10 class that everyone in Canada should be armed - especially girls.

Dianna Sakisheway wrote a scathing letter to Public Safety Minister Vic Toews this week. Her complaint stems from a speech Breitkreuz - known as the father of the legislation to repeal the longgun registry - gave during a career day at Canterbury High School on March 7.

"I am outraged at the irresponsible conduct of the federal government in promoting gun violence to schoolchildren," Sakisheway wrote. "You have gone much too far.

"Mr. Breitkreuz spent most of his allotted time discussing firearms and cited a Texas study that showed women who carry guns are less likely to get raped, including a specific number of women who avoided rape as they were armed," Sakisheway wrote in another letter obtained by Postmedia News.

"Stop assaulting the sensibilities of our children," she wrote."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or, one could do like they did in Vancouver, with a public awareness campaign, Dont Be That Guy, and see a 10 percent drop in sexual assault, just by reminding men that non-consensual sex is rape. No accidental shootings required....

The Rat said...

Dianna Sakisheway is a partisan NDPer with a hate on for Israel. Her statement of what Breitkreuz said is laughable. She says he said "... Canadians a have a right and a duty to participate in gun violence." That's like a pro-lifer claiming Morgentaler said Canadians have a right and duty to kill babies.

I thank you for being honest and admitting that some studies show crime rates fall in "shall issue" jurisdictions. The thing is gun ownership and the dangers it (supposedly) presents are ambiguous at best. I'm not sure I want to carry a concealed weapon but I'd certainly like to carry a pistol when I am in the BC wilderness and I'd like to be able to shoot it without all the unreasonable restrictions. If we are not sure the restrictions do any good, and we aren't even close to that, why not relax some of the laws for properly licensed and vetted gun owners?

Anonymous said...

Hey Rat.

Please tell me how you are a Conservative.

Lets start with your position on government controlled health care.


We can go from there.

The Rat said...

You know Anon, I have my own blog on which you can harass me. I'll even post a n open thread just for you. Better yet, how about you start a blog and I'll be happy to come there and rip you a new one on a regular basis.

This is James' place and you are being a very rude guest.

Anonymous said...

"You know Anon, I have my own blog on which you can harass me. I'll even post a n open thread just for you. Better yet, how about you start a blog and I'll be happy to come there and rip you a new one on a regular basis.

This is James' place and you are being a very rude guest."




I've been coming here for 4 years and Morton knows my style.

I'm a hardcore American-Canadian. I have Freedom and Liberty in my blood, and my genes.

Morton don't mind if I have a discussion with you here. I actually truly believe he would enjoy the laugh.

Me and Morton know each other very well through his website.

The Rat said...

You keep telling yourself that...