Saturday, July 21, 2012

Gang violence hits home

After Cain had murdered his brother Abel, God asked him where his brother was. Cain answered, “I know not; am I my brother's keeper?” Cain's words have come to symbolize an unwillingness to accept responsibility for the welfare of others — “brothers” in the extended sense of the term. The tradition of Judaism and Christianity is that we all have this responsibility.  It is easy to forget that -- I am disconcerted that I often do:

I was talking to a young man earlier today -- a security guard.

He said, "it's been a sad week".  I agreed, mainly out of politeness -- and he went on to talk about the Scarborough shooting and the three shootings in Toronto last night.

Again, more out of politeness than anything I commented there was clearly a gang war.

Now, I thought, but did not say, such wars do not really affect me.  I am not at the places where the shootings occur (except the Eaton Centre) or, usually, out at the times they usually occur.  Yes, I meet gang members, but almost always in jail and their world does not seem to intersect mine.

But, after I mentioned to the security guard how sad the death of the teen was he said "yes, she was my friend's niece".

Everyone is someone's child, parent, brother or sister.  They aren't foreigners, sub-humans, strangers -- they are our brothers and sisters. Easy to forget but true.

1 comment:

Barnestyex said...

Last week, they were awarded with the Tony Martell Lifetime Entertainment Achievement Awards at the TJ Martell Honors Gala. There are also musicians, like Sheryl Crow, who are considered pop/rock, but have songs popular on country stations. Its simplicity and clean guitar melodies have withstood the years and show no signs of slowing down. Our other school mate Doris was already there and it was great to see both of them again, more than 23 years after we graduated from high school. Not only can you easily turn your PC into a super satellite, but you can watch every HD channel on your regular TV using a simple cable to connect your PC to your TV.