Friday, September 5, 2008

The New CBC Radio -- Top 40 designed by a committee?

What is the deal with the New CBC?

CBC One is excellent and remains so. While I don't always agree with the political slant (and there is one) the programs are thorough and thoughtful -- public broadcasting worth listening to.

CBC Two was a bit sleepy. Classical music punctuated with silly chatter. But Canadian performers got a platform and no matter where you were in Canada you could get decent music.

No more.

CBC Two kept the chatter (if anything it's worse) but dumped the good music (ok, they have a show or two with classical but that's it). Turn on CBC Two and you hear a mix of hits from the 90's and recordings that aren't and weren't hits (for good reason).

It's a bit like the Lite-FM stations but with worse music and more talk. (And radio reports -- not CBC radio I might add -- say that CBC has blocked e-mail complaints about the format change from getting to the President of CBC).

Now I am listening, but I'm doing so to see if CBC Two is really as sad as it seems.

So far it is.
James Morton
1100 - 5255 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario
M2N 6P4

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you. I had the misfortune to tune into CBC2 a few weeks back. It was an evening program. There was some singer featured. Her new album was cover versions of various 80s/90s love ballads that she had revamped into punk/goth style. It was brutal and yet, oddly like a train wreck. I didn't want to listen, but found myself unable to turn the dial away b/c it was just so bad.... I won't be tuning in again any time soon.

Anonymous said...

If уou aгe gοіng for most excеllent contents like mе, only visit thiѕ web site everyday aѕ іt provides
quality contentѕ, thаnks

Feel free to suгf tο my wеb-ѕite .
.. hcg weight loss plan